The coronavirus outbreak deeply affected Ford Motor Company, stopped production worldwide and damaged the bottom line. And hits continue to come. Now, the carmaker's luxury brand, Lincoln, is canceling its upcoming electric SUV.
On Tuesday, the Detroit-based brand announced in a press release He said that EV start will not progress with the planned vehicle to be built on Rivian's skateboard platform. Lincoln wants to continue researching electrification, it will only be independent from Rivian.
"Given the current environment, they decided not to develop a fully electric vehicle based on Rivian's skateboard platform," the brand said. "Ford Motor Company's strategic commitment to Lincoln, Rivian and electrification has not changed, and Lincoln's future plans will include a fully electric vehicle consistent with Silent Flight DNA."
Rumors began to circulate that Lincoln was developing an electric SUV to drive Rivian's skateboard chassis in the fall. This flexible platform accommodates EV's electric motors, battery pack, controls and conventional suspension systems. Then, in January, EV's CEO and founder R.J. Scaringe said that it is not only ready to launch its own vehicles, but it is also difficult to work on an SUV for Ford for a luxury market.
After cooperation is approved, Car driver even recommended The vehicle can be called Mark E, it can produce 700 hp and it can arrive in 2022. While this timeline will almost certainly be pushed back and development will no longer include Rivian, Ford says it is still committed to producing an electric Lincoln. It is now believed that the vehicle can share components with the upcoming Mustang Mach-E.
While Ford no longer works with Rivian on the new Lincoln, the relationship between the American automaker and the opening of the EV will continue. Ford is also investing $ 500 million in the young company last year, so it's probably not just speech.